2012年12月5日星期三

  It must be fun to swash the water round and dig out the soap

  "It must be fun to swash the water round and dig out the soap. I'dlove to do it, only aunt wouldn't like it, I suppose," said Rose, quitetaken with the new employment.
  "You'd soon get tired, so you'd better keep tidy and look on.""I suppose you help your mother a good deal?""I haven't got any folks.""Why, where do you live, then?""I'm going to live here, I hope. Debby wants some one to helpround, and I've come to try for a week.""I hope you will stay, for it is very dull," said Rose, who had takena sudden fancy to this girl, who sung like a bird and worked like awoman.
  "Hope I shall; for I'm fifteen now, and old enough to earn my ownliving. You have come to stay a spell, haven't you?" asked Phebe,looking up at her guest and wondering how life could be dull to agirl who wore a silk frock, a daintily frilled apron, a pretty locket,and had her hair tied up with a velvet snood.
  "Yes, I shall stay till my uncle comes. He is my guardian now, andI don't know what he will do with me. Have you a guardian?""My sakes,Moncler outlet online store, no! I was left on the poor-house steps a little mite of ababy,Discount UGG Boots, and Miss Rogers took a liking to me, so I've been there eversince. But she is dead now, and I take care of myself.""How interesting! It is like Arabella Montgomery in the 'Gypsy'sChild.' Did you ever read that sweet story?" asked Rose, who wasfond of tales of found-lings, and had read many.
  "I don't have any books to read, and all the spare time I get I runoff into the woods; that rests me better than stories," answeredPhebe, as she finished one job and began on another.
  Rose watched her as she got out a great pan of beans to look over,and wondered how it would seem to have life all work and no play.
  Presently Phebe seemed to think it was her turn to ask questions,and said, wistfully"You've had lots of schooling, I suppose?""Oh, dear me, yes! I've been at boarding school nearly a year, andI'm almost dead with lessons. The more I got, the more MissPower gave me, and I was so miserable that I 'most cried my eyesout. Papa never gave me hard things to do, and he always taughtme so pleasantly I loved to study. Oh, we were so happy and sofond of one another! But now he is gone, and I am left all alone."The tear that would not come when Rose sat waiting for it camenow of its own accord two of them in fact and rolled down hercheeks, telling the tale of love and sorrow better than any wordscould do it.
  For a minute there was no sound in the kitchen but the littledaughter's sobbing and the sympathetic patter of the rain. Phebestopped rattling her beans from one pan to another, and her eyeswere full of pity as they rested on the curly head bent down onRose's knee,cheap foamposites, for she saw that the heart under the pretty locketached with its loss, and the dainty apron was used to dry saddertears than any she had ever shed.
  Somehow,Moncler Outlet, she felt more contented with her brown calico gownand blue-checked pinafore; envy changed to compassion; and ifshe had dared she would have gone and hugged her afflicted guest.
  Fearing that might not be considered proper, she said, in hercheery voice"I'm sure you ain't all alone with such a lot of folks belonging toyou, and all so rich and clever. You'll be petted to pieces, Debbysays, because you are the only girl in the family."Phebe's last words made Rose smile in spite of her tears, and shelooked out from behind her apron with an April face, saying in atone of comic distress"That's one of my troubles! I've got six aunts, and they all want me,and I don't know any of them very well. Papa named this place theAunt-hill, and now I see why."Phebe laughed with her as she said encouragingly,"Everyone calls it so, and it's a real good name, for all the Mrs.

没有评论:

发表评论